A CITIZEN SCIENCE MOBILE APP
Timeline: 4 weeks
Roles: UX Design, Interaction Design, UX Research
Team: Brent Cowley, Sonya Badigian
Methods: Personas, Wireframing, Storyboarding
Tools: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, InDesign, Sketch, InVision
Problem: Noise pollution and many other urban issues have a negative effect on quality of life around the world. Unfortunately, many cities do not have the resources to install expensive sensors to gather data to find and resolve the problems. To address this issue, my team and I turned to citizen science to collect data through mobile phones.
Solution: A mobile application that allows users to easily report multiple types of issues that affect their city to city services. Users can easily report issues via the app, as well as see issues reported by other users, creating a sense of community.
An interactive prototype of Calvino can be viewed by clicking here.
When creating Calvino, we examined the eco-system of crowd source applications, exploring what motivates users to use these types of applications, stake holders, and the desired outcomes of using these applications. I found that users want to see that the data they send is being used to benefit themselves and others.
When sketching out the work flow of using the application, we focused on making reporting issues take as few required actions as possible for the users. My team and I made sure to layout a simple work flow that would give the city enough information from the reports, but also not overwhelm the user.
One feature included in the first iteration was the ability for city hall to directly message users if more information was needed about the report they issued. We removed the direct communication feature as there were better methods to address communication by using social media, especially microblogging sites like Twitter. Allowing users to automatically post their reports to social media accounts generates interest in the app, and creates an open communication channel with their city officials.
For our high-fidelity wireframes, we redesigned several elements of the UI on a graphical level to improve clarity and made transitions smoother. We also reduced the amount of screens and increased retail space of the map screens by moving several options to submenus.